December 13, 2022
First Lutheran Church Council Minutes – Dec 13, 2022
Council Members present: Jan McElroy, Pete Petersen, Sheila Johnson, Joslyn LaVera, Ida Malde and Kara Danna
Council members absent: Rod Johnson, Eric Merten, Debbie Butler
Non-council members present: Pastor Dennis Hickman, Julie Anna Boss.
Devotions were given by Ida Malde.
The January devotions will be given by Sheila Johnson.
It was moved by Pete Petersen, seconded by Sheila Johnson, and passed with a change to the Sunday School Program to Dec 11 to approve the November 2022 council minutes.
The roofing company cannot find the leak, it could be in the inside drain.
The Staff Committee recommended an 8% pay increase for all staff salaries and the Pastor’ housing allowance for 2023. Sheila made the motion and Joslyn made 2nd, passed.
The council worked on the 2023 budget numbers to propose at the annual meeting.
Council needs to fill 2 new positions, everyone is asked to reach out to others but Sheila will be the nomination committee.
Pastor’s Report: - See attached for the full report
The pastor’s written report was given to council. Items and council discussion.
Outreach: Kara had no specific report but discussion was had on what the committee does including the Weekend Nutrition program and the giving tree for the cold weather shelter participants.
Discussion was had about the giving tree being put back up for specific foods or money for the Weekend Nutrition Program
Worship and Music: The large print bulletins will continue, choir is going well and a search for a choir director continues
Stewardship: Pete reported that the time and talent sheets are still coming in.
Congregation Life: Ida reported the Advent potluck went well and the Youth did a great job of decorating. The Music fest will be Dec 18.
Youth and Education: JulieAnna reported things are going great. They will be adding a second Sunday School class to divide the age groups and are looking for more teachers.
Property Management: The City of Ellensburg is doing an analysis on the lights throughout the whole church to see if there are ways to change fixtures and save money. The city will reimburse for the fixtures.
South Property: A heating unit is out in one property and they have a space heater on loan until it can be fixed.
IT: Nothing to report
Financial Report: See attached for a full report
· Contributions to FISH for November totaled $273.15
· Contributions to ELCA World Hunger totaled $100
· Contributions to LIRS totaled $50
· The next council meeting will be held on Tuesday January 10 at 6:30pm.
· The meeting was adjourned with prayer.
Respectfully submitted by Jan McElroy.
Pastor’s report to church council Dec 13, 2022
1Great kids’ program, potluck and reception of new members on Sun Dec 11.
2. Looking forward to the Advent Music Fest Sun Dec 18 at 9 am.
3. I read a scripture at the Advent Lessons & Carols service at Grace Episcopal on Dec 11. Good music, but mostly an online event.
4. Christmas Eve worship 7:30pm—Carols, Candlelight & Communion.
Christmas Day Sunday 10 am worship with holy communion.
5. I’ll be on vacation Dec 26-Jan 2. Pastor Mary Johnson preaching and presiding at communion on Sun Jan 1.
5. First Lutheran is hosting Winter Shelter for the homeless on Tuesday nights through mid-March. Thank you to our many volunteers: Art & Joan Neslund, Debbie Butler, Julie Anna Boss, Rod Johnson and more. And thanks to those who bring crock pots of hot food for supper. It’s going well, other than 2 guests being expelled for the season after fighting on Dec 7.
6. Annual meeting of the congregation probably on Sun Jan 29 after worship. Youth will do baked potato bar. Are Pete and Sheila willing to serve another council term?
7. Sanctuary lighting project. Gym roof/drain pipe leak. Many thanks to Brian McElroy for snow removal!
8. My computer screen died so I bought a new one at Fred Meyers for $173 with A.V funds.
Next meeting Tues Jan 10. Devotions?
Peace in Christ, Pastor Dennis