First Lutheran Church Council Minutes – January 11, 2022
Council Members present: Debbie Butler, Jan McElroy, Eric Merten, Rod Johnson, Ida Malde, Jay Ragland, Sheila Johnson, Pete Petersen
Council members absent: Jennifer Campbell
Non-council members present: Pastor Dennis Hickman, JulieAnna Boss
Devotions were given by Rod Johnson.
The February devotions will be given by Ida Malde.
It was moved by Pete Petersen, seconded by Ida Malde, and passed to approve the December 2021 council minutes.
Old Business: None
Sheila Johnson brought up issues about removal of the snow on the church roof and how it was done by volunteers from the property management committee and congregation in the past. Discussion was had about insurance liability if anyone gets injured. JulieAnna will call contractors to see if any are available. Pastor Dennis reported he did some shoveling.
Ida Malde reported on the duties and obligations of the Congregational Life Committee
1. Seek to renew and refresh communication among all members- Sheila Johnson stated she is sending notes to those who have not been at service for a while. Jan McElroy stated she is calling all those who have not picked up their offering envelopes and confirming if they want them mailed or not.
It was decided the sign in sheets will be put back in the pews for better communication
2. Plan and coordinate programs which nurture warmth and fellowship- without potlucks at this COVID time other programs are being done such as the Sunday music programs.
3. Encourage members to participate- Those who visit shut-ins are asked to provide communion.
Pastor’s Report: - See attached for the full report
The pastor’s written report was given to council. Items and council discussion included:
For the Budget Forum on January 23rd, fruit and muffins will be provided by Council.
A bake sale will take place on January 23rd to benefit Lutheran Immigration Refugee Services.
The furnaces are working.
Lenten Services will be discussed at the February meeting and possibility of soup suppers.
Jan McElroy and Debbie Butler volunteered to be the nominating committee to find a new person for Council.
Outreach: Eric Merten had nothing to report.
Worship and Music: Still no choir but special music is welcomed.
Stewardship: Pete Petersen reported that $111,384.00 has been pledged for 2022. We need to reach out to those who are not attending to increase revenue. Possibly a direct mail pledge?
Youth and Education: Sunday School is happening. Bible studies are being attended and the Youth Group is going strong.
Congregational Life: Ida Malde and Patty Akers are on the committee and see report above.
Property Management: JulieAnna Boss reported that snow removal is being done, sinks were fixed and lights in the office were fixed.
South Property: JulieAnna Boss reported that some lights have been fixed and the snow removal from the parking lot is a paid contract but is blocking one too many spaces so they will be asked to move more snow.
Financial Report: See attached for a full report.
· Contributions to FISH for December totaled $212 .
· The next council meeting will be held on Tuesday February 8 at 6:30pm to elect officers and choose committees to work with.
· The meeting was adjourned with prayer.
Respectfully submitted by Jan McElroy.