June 14, 2022
First Lutheran Church Council Minutes – June 14, 2022
Council Members present: Debbie Butler, Jan McElroy, Rod Johnson, Sheila Johnson, Joslyn LaVera
Council members absent: Ida Malde, Eric Merten, Pete Petersen
Non-council members present: Pastor Dennis Hickman, Julie Anna Boss.
Devotions were given by Sheila Johnson.
The September devotions will be given by Debbie Butler.
It was moved by Sheila Johnson, seconded by Joslyn LaVera, and passed to approve the May 2022 council minutes.
Julie Anna reported that the roof and mold damage have been paid for by the church. The insurance company is still not paying. Rod has an attorney friend who is working with Julie Anna to send a letter requesting specific denial reasons.
Carla will start going through the books and dispose of the damaged one and do an inventory.
Julie Anna shared styles of bookshelves for replacing the damaged ones. Pastor brought up that Memorial money may possibly be used for the purchase.
New Business: None reported
Pastor’s Report: - See attached for the full report
The pastor’s written report was given to council. Items and council discussion included:
The Cutlips will be celebrating 65 years of marriage on June 25.
Council voted to meet in July and skip August since Pastor will be on vacation.
Outreach: For God’s Work our Hands in September Debbie Butler will coordinate cemetery clean up like last year.
Worship and Music: Choir to begin in October, July 10 will be Christmas Hymns in July
There was discussion on announcements and that they are not vetted. For the time being, they will continue to be as is.
Stewardship: No Report
Youth and Education: A TV for the Sunday School room is needed and can be purchased with AV Interest Funds. Sheila moved and Joslyn second, passed.
A youth group from Mt Lake Terrace Lutheran is going to stay in the gym one night this summer.
Bible studies on Job are finished, the Women’s group will study Ruth and the Youth will be studying Psalms.
6 youth so far are signed up to attend Lutherhaven.
Congregational Life: The church picnic is scheduled for September 18 at Lazy F camp.
Property Management: The Exit signs are fixed and all working. Men’s room faucets are working.
A Saturday in September or October will be coordinated by Jan McElroy for church cleaning along with a master calendar of what is done when each year.
South Property: All is well
IT: No Report
Financial Report: See attached for a full report
· Contributions to FISH for May totaled $240 and ELCA World Hunger $100
· 3 families asked for camperships and up to $150 per kid will be given from the youth gathering fund and more campership donations came in.
· The next council meeting will be held on Tuesday July 12 at 6:30pm.
· The meeting was adjourned with prayer.
Respectfully submitted by Jan McElroy.
Pastor’s report to church council June 14, 2022
1. Thanks to the quilters for the beautiful quilts for our high school graduates. And thanks to Joslyn LaVera for the cupcakes for the graduate’s reception after worship on June 5th.
2. Huge thanks to Brian McElroy for fixing the fellowship hall wall: insulation, sheetrock, paint… Also bathroom faucet and emergency exit signs!
3. Thanks to Warren Street for fixing and refinishing 2 outside benches. Warren and I will also be changing furnace filters this month.
4. Our synod’s first one-day gatherings went well. Ida Malde, Julie Anna Boss, Kara Danna, Chris Peterson and myself attended the Moses Lake one on Sat May 21. Good music, Bible Study, small group stuff, worship, lunch. It was great to see folks from neighboring Lutheran Churches after 2 years apart! The theme was “Home Grown Faith” and presenters were Linda Staats and our synod bishop, Kristen Kuempel.
5. Memorial service for Linda Grebb was Sat June 4th. Thanks to Betty Kramlich and Phil Cutlip for music, Patty Akers—sound, and Estelle Johnson and crew for the reception afterwards.
6. Spring music fest on May 22 was great. Thanks to all the musicians and Ida Malde for organizing it.
7. I will be on vacation July 18 through Aug 14. Warren Street will be preaching on Sundays July 24th & 31st. Julie Anna Boss will be preaching Aug 14th. I’m still working on Aug 7th.
8. Jennifer Campbell has resigned from council so we need to appoint someone to fill out her term which expires Jan 2024. Any suggestions?
9. Red Cross blood drive happened June 13th in our gym.
10. Thanks to Glenn Madsen for mowing the lawn.
11. I will be officiating at the Marisa Wickerath/Ben Titus wedding on Sat July 2 in Cle Elum. Rehearsal the night before. I’m going to take July 5th off.
12. Gym roof got patched and didn’t leak after much rain June 4 & 5!
Next meeting will be Tues July 12. Devotions?
Peace in Christ, Pastor Dennis