May 10, 2021

First Lutheran Church Council Minutes – May 10, 2021

Council Members present: Debbie Butler, Jan McElroy, Eric Merten, Rod Johnson, Ida Malde, Jennifer Campbell, Jay Ragland

Council members absent: Sheila Johnson

Non-council members present: Pastor Dennis Hickman, Julie Anna Boss

Devotions were given by Ida Malde.

The June devotions will be given by Rod Johnson.

It was moved by Jan McElroy, seconded by Debbie Butler, and passed to approve the April 2021 council minutes.

Old Business:

-Replacing Jim Stolte- Rod will email Jim for processes, procedures and timelines of what he does.

-Volunteers for Sunday money counting- Volunteers most likely will not step forward, they need to be asked. We need 2 people per Sunday.

New Business:

-Will FLC participate in September 12 God’s work, our hands? Rod motioned and Ida second that we participate- Passed.

Jan will call Habitat for Humanity to see if their new project to help repair homes for low income people can use work parties in September.

Other ideas of community outreach were discussed such as fixing, repairing, building a ramp….

-Email policies

There is concern in the congregation and some council members about personal emails being provided to the congregation and companies provided services to the church and congregation.

Council members can have FLC email addresses made if they choose. Emails to the congregation will now be sent to BCC so information is not shared. If emails are not in the directory, members can call the office to receive those

-FLC Website and Facebook page are not current. Julie Anna and Doug Fessler are working on getting the user names, passwords and ID to clean these accounts up and assign new administrators to keep them current. Christine Rice and Jim Stolte are helping also.


Pastor’s Report: The pastor’s written report was given to council.

Items and council discussion included:

Resignation of Jess Holcomb from Council, he will still assist on committees.

Having ushers again is good to help with seating and distancing for service.

Pastor will be on vacation in July and again in August and is finding replacements for those Sundays.

Outreach: FLC will be participating in the ELCA God’s hands, our work project.

A fundraiser of some kind is in the works, details as the emerge.

Judy Ragland said weekend nutrition bags are still being filled for Lincoln and Daman schools, FLC will be assisting in the summer program too.

Worship and Music: A new supplemental hymnal is being promulgated by the ELCA. We decided to get a handful for choir or small ensembles to use as reference and not to order them for the sanctuary.

Stewardship: Jay Ragland had nothing to report but he will reach out to Jess Holcomb.

Youth and Education: Debbie Butler and Julie Anna reported there are 8 registered youth for Lutherhaven and 4 more interested.

Confirmation is over for the year and Youth night is still happening, the kids are having fun.

Frisbee on Sundays is still scheduled.

VBS is August 1-5, details to come.

Sunday School is still going and hoping to continue in the summer.

Adult bible study is going well.

Congregational Life: Coffee hours are going will with treats appreciated and a sign up sheet

Another music fest will be on May 23rd at 9am.

Senior Day is June 6 with cupcakes or cake.

Property Management: A sprinkler broke and is being fixed.

Bulletin boards are hung in the hallway and will provide information, lights are being changed out to make it brighter.

South Property: Julie Anna reported all is going well and some painting will be done later.

Financial Report: See attached for a full report.

The youth will plant the two trees for the replacement of the two removed and once done the city will refund the deposit money for the permits.

The balance sheet was handed out and discussion had on how Quickbooks needs to be looked at to show the assets and liabilities in the correct format.

Contributions to FISH for April totaled $ 105 and 24 lbs of food.


The next council meeting will be held on Monday June 14

with ministry meetings being held on Sunday June 13.

The meeting was adjourned with prayer.

Respectfully submitted by Jan McElroy.